Michael Hyland has a business creating custom pens that sell for as much as $329 each and it all started with a woodworking class in middle school where he made a couple of pens. He would later go on to learn new skills and make roller pens and fountain pens out of wood and acrylic. He has gone from making a couple of pens in class, to setting up a workshop and online ecommerce store, as well as selling via retail partners.
- The idea from his business came from a class he took in middle school.
- It was years before that idea turned into a business.
- He started in the basement of his house.
- He enjoyed the woodworking class.
- A friend requested a custom pen for her graduation and her excitement was "...a really big driving factor for me to start a business."
- Is there a hobby you enjoy that you could turn into a business?