Inspiring Stories (2)
Struggling to believe YOU can do it? It´s OK. Starting something completely different can be overwhelming and most of the success stories you hear are about entrepreneurs with sales and marketing skills most of us don´t have. This Inspiration Corner is here to show you how ordinary people started their journey so you can see that anything is possible!
Michael Suggs spent years as a supervisor for local mechanic shops and woodturning was just a hobby. He finds it exciting to create items that are all unique because even though the shape might be the same, the grain from the wood is always slightly different.
He still has a full-time job, a large family, and belongs to the Patriot Guard Riders and Christian Motorcyclists Association. None of this stops him from creating custom gifts from his ´hobby´ turned side hustle. On his Facebook page you can see wooden boxes, custom pens, wooden urns, mortar and pestle, cell phone amplifiers and many other gorgeous items.
Michael was used to building things, but had no formal training in woodwork other than a couple of classes in the local community.
Michael Hyland has a business creating custom pens that sell for as much as $329 each and it all started with a woodworking class in middle school where he made a couple of pens. He would later go on to learn new skills and make roller pens and fountain pens out of wood and acrylic. He has gone from making a couple of pens in class, to setting up a workshop and online ecommerce store, as well as selling via retail partners.
- The idea from his business came from a class he took in middle school.
- It was years before that idea turned into a business.
- He started in the basement of his house.
- He enjoyed the woodworking class.
- A friend requested a custom pen for her graduation and her excitement was "...a really big driving factor for me to start a business."
- Is there a hobby you enjoy that you could turn into a business?