List your narration skills at ACX.com and bid for jobs narrating audiobooks at an average of $225 per audio hour. Work from your home studio and set a fixed per-hour rate or choose to share royalties with the rights holder.
To bid for jobs narrating audiobooks on ACX.com you have to:
- Create a profile on the website
- Upload audio samples - the more varied the samples the more like you are to get work e.g. different styles, accents etc.
- Choose how you want to get paid.
- Browse the available books and audition for the ones you are interested in.
- Choose whether to accept any offers you get.
- Record 15 mins of the audio and send to the Rights Holder for approval. If successful you finish the book.
- If necessary, hire other contractors to improve the quality of the audio.
- Upload the finished chapters.
- Get paid!
- Hourly Rate
According to ACX, a lot of the actors who do this work ask for a minimum of $225 per finished hour.
- Royalty Share
If you are producing an audiobook for a well-known author, or you expect the book to do well, you can choose to receive royalties as payment. This means you will get ongoing passive income if the book does well instead of a one-off per hour payment.
ACX brings together authors and producers to create projects that will be listed on iTunes, Amazon and Audible. The Rights Holders will be looking for experienced professionals to produce a high quality product. This means you will need a home studio set up for recording and you may need to hire extra help to improve the quality of audio before uploading it. Read their tips on Setting Up a Home Studio.
>>> Find out more about being an audiobook narrator at www.acx.com <<<